I rewrote this post five times. Why? Because I had such a hard time deciding what part of the ACFW Conference or my experiences to highlight!
So here’s a run down of some of the reasons I’m excited to head to St. Louis in September:
- In the past 5 years that I’ve been a member of ACFW, and after having attended the conference 4 of those years, I’ve made so many friends! We have celebrated with each other. Cried with each other. Supported each others’ blogs. Prayed for each other. Going to an ACFW Conference is more than congregating with other writers. It’s a family reunion!
- Volunteer opportunities abound, creating places where an introvert like me can get to know people in a more one-on-one situation and also where I can “give back” to ACFW by helping the various aspects of the conference run smoothly.
- Times in the prayer room grow me in my relationship with the Lord, whether through time in prayer by myself or with another.
- The Awards banquet is a great time to be the body of Christ by rejoicing with those who rejoice and weeping with those who weep.
- Workshops and Continuing Sessions help me hone my writing skills. There is always something new to learn.
- I glean wisdom from successful writers, and I can encourage newer writers.
- Laughter and chocolate abound!
- Editor and Agent appointments not only provide opportunities to pitch our work, but to meet those professionals as real people.
- I get to put on my “writer” hat full time for 4 or 5 whole days. The biggest perk of that: I don’t have to cook dinner or clean it up!
- When the weekend is over, I have so many new friends! I especially love getting to meet people I’ve come to know through email, blogs, twitter and facebook.
Of course this year’s conference will be especially sweet for me since it coincides with the release of my first novel, Wings of a Dream, which happened as a direct result of my involvement in ACFW. I couldn’t ask for a better way to celebrate than with so many I’ve come to know and love!