A friend of mine posted the other day about why she loves her book club. I confess, I’ve always wanted to belong to a book club. It makes me almost giddy to think of getting together with a group of people to discuss a book we’ve all read. And yet it terrifies me, too. In the end, it’s something I simply haven’t had time in my schedule to try. But come fall, I’d like to find or form a book club.
So I have a few questions for you book club members, whether past or present. I’d love your feedback as I think through the kind of situation I envision for a group.
- How did you find your group or did you form one? Did you all know one another before hand or did you go into a group where you didn’t know the others–or at least didn’t know them well?
- Did you take turns picking books? Did people get their feelings hurt if people didn’t look a book they loved?
- Did you use discussion questions provided by the author or publisher or just discuss freeform?
- Did you ever contact an author either just to tell them you all enjoyed the book or to invite them to your group in person or via skype? How did that work out?
- What was your greatest take away from your book club time–the books read, the discussion of the books, or personal friendships formed?
I can’t wait to hear what you have to say!